Tuesday, November 18, 2014

My Design

Mobile - ομορφιά

ομορφιά= beauty in greek


How did it start:


Two weeks ago, to this day I was assigned a creative project titled "Mobile"  in Design Theory class. The task was to build a hanging mobile that displays your concept, any concept. Only catch, you couldn't showcase a mobile that expresses your concept literally. 

What's my concept?


What first came to my mind was the Golden mean. You may ask what the Golden mean is? It is the ideal moderate position between two extremes. This repeating ratio through out the world is everywhere you look in nature, art, animals, humans and architecture. So I wanted to combine two elements: beauty and the golden mean. First, I needed to find a relation between the two. I did some research and discovered that the Greeks considered the Golden mean as beauty. Beauty to them consisted of three things: proportion, harmony and symmetry. 

What objects in nature represent these three words? 

I choose:

Proportion- golden spiral seashell 




Harmony- Tree+Dirt 




Symmetry: Beehive







Materials:

- 19 gauge sliver wire
- 24 gauge copper wire

Final Result 




How does this relate to Eclectic design?


This project/post doesn't directly relate to Eclectic design. It does showcase that it is important to step out of your comfort zone and push through those design road blocks.  

No comments:

Post a Comment